Binge Eating Disorder (BED) Week, May 27 – 31, 2013
In Recognition of the APA’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM5) Including Binge Eating Disorder (BED) as a Diagnosis, Coalition Coordinates Education and Awareness Campaign – May 27 – 31, 2013
Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is the most common eating disorder, afflicting 3.5% of women and 2.0% of men in the U.S. This translates to 4.2 million women and 2.3 million men in the U.S with BED. IN 2013, BED will finally find a home in the American Psychiatric Associations compilation of mental disorders, the DSM-5.
Capitalizing on this educational opportunity, BingeBehavior.com, Beutiful Magazine, Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) and Kari Adams, host of the Killer Confidence with Kari Adams show, will be hosting Binge Eating Disorder (BED) Week, May 27 – 31, 2013, an online campaign to eucate people about binge eating disorder, who it affects, where to get help and what resources for help are available.
The event will focus on:
- Education (what is BED)
- Preventing weight bias and stigma (including identifying bias, cultivating positive body image and legislative activism)
- Support (what types of help are available and where to find those resources)
Chevese Turner, Founder, President and CEO of the Binge Eating Disorders Association (BEDA) said, “This is going to be an exciting campaign, filled with educational information. The content being hosted on the sponsor websites is being written by some of the leading minds, activists and practitioners in the field of BED.”
Articles are being written by:
- Marsha Hudnall, MS, RD, CD; President & Co-Owner, Green Mountain at Fox Run
- Amy Pershing LMSW, ACSW; Executive Director, Pershing Turner Center LLC, Annapolis, MD;
- Cynthia M. Bulik, Ph.D., FAED, Professor of Eating Disorders in the Department of Psychiatry in the School of Medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Golda Poretsky, HHC, Founder of Body Love Wellness
For the complete list of content contributors, please click here
Additional promotion by organizations such as Everyday Feminism and Libero Network, and social network activity include Facebook’s Binge Eating Disorder (BED) Week Event Page, and a Tweetchat being held May 29 from 12:00 – 1:00 using the hashtag #BEDCHAT.
Lizabeth Wesely-Casella, Founder of BingeBehavior.com expressed her reasons for participating in BED Week this way, “This is an opportunity to help people understand just how prevalent BED is and that there is help. This is a disorder, it’s about mental health and as such, getting people the information and resources that they need is vital to improving how they live. Finding the happiness and self acceptance in my own life came only after I found out that I was dealing with something real, something that affects millions of other people and that (BED) is treatable.”
# # #